In continuation from the refurbishment, this month sees a new lease of life brought on to the carriage.
Although, when we began, the acrow were the only thing keeping the carriage upright, our main goal was to have the carriage free standing on its own accord.
The carpenter worked for us, in total, for just over a month. His precision meant that every single part of the front of the carriage matched that of the original parts to a T. We levelled the rear of the carriage ensuring everything was even and straight throughout. This made for an outstanding piece of design by the end.
The old and somewhat mangled parts of the carriage were removed and used for kindling wood, whilst the newer parts were kept intact. Artefacts such as the match strikers and various door handles were put aside whilst new wooden crevices were made to support said objects. The fake wooden doors were removed and replaced with the shapes that should have been there ready for new doors, allowing all the doors are to be able to move independently of one another. Small holes between the floor and the doors of the carriage were filled and replaced where it was needed. We did all this, and more, whilst ensuring that the optimum amount of original wood could still remain if it was intact enough: this is shown, accidentally, by the original (green) parts remaining and the brand new (brown) parts being placed around them, as shown in the photo inserted.
After being rickety, half mangled, rotten, and pretty much left for dead before we moved in, we can greatly confirm that, with a lot of help from the KSEL team, family friends and many employees, that the carriage is now capable of free standing on its own! The acros are finally removed and to all of our amazement, the carriage is still standing today and now it is all one colour.
To commemorate such a momentous occasion, we decided that we would treat ourselves to a rarity that we found online, a 1874 LB&SC railway lamp which would’ve quite possibly been used in our carriage. In order for communication as to what the train was doing, different coloured filters were used around an oscillating wheel in which, when light shon through the filter, would make for a set of colours to appear, instigating as to what the train was doing and where it was headed.
As a team, we would like to personally thank everyone for all their help so far and especially the County Times for again publishing our story in the newspaper, and for everyone who took the time to read about us. Thank you for all the support.